Tuesday 6 March 2012

Minty Fresh Scrimage

First scrimmage was in one word AWESOME.

Now it didn't start awesome, I was shaky, nervous it took me a few jams to get into it but once I did it was awesome. I knew stuff, I started to understand the plays and flow of the game. For the first time since I started in fresh meat I felt confident all the advice from days past had sunk in. My skills not the best were good enough that I could focus on strategy instead of where my skates where I had great teachers who had given me a solid base of skills.

Scrimmaging in my opinion is the best learning experience, not that what I learned in fresh meat wasn't useful it gave me everything, the skills to be able to skate some what steady hit accurately, stop, transition, and all that stuff but scrimmage gave me the chance to try out all my skills together in a more fluid motion using them all together, and in different combinations (or not so fluid motion lol).

Scrimmaging also gives you a chance to try new things or new positions. I played every position  blocker, pivot, jammer, and was surprised to find strengths is places I didn't know were there. I jammed and I admit I am not fast off the start but I can catch up pretty fast. I never imagined being a successful jammer but now I see with some work on starts, and laterals I could possibly jam to some success. I found my grove as pivot, leading the pack is comfortable, having no problem telling people what to do and having what I think is pretty good track awareness I feel pivot will always be my go to position.

After the clock ran out and all was said and done my team lost by I think about 30 points but we won in learning after playing against a team stacked with heavy hitters and skilled jammers, and also being much larger then us we held our own, and gained skills that can only be learned by getting the shit knocked out of you. I am proud to say I am now a rookie, and I love scrimmages.

Now league scrimmage is a whole other story.

No comments:

Post a Comment