Wednesday 14 March 2012

Growing Pains

Fresh Rookie!
I'm a rookie but some how I don't find that properly describes the newness of my skills and experience in derby, some how stuck in limbo between fresh meat and rookies, Fresh Rookie. I don't have the best skills I need lots of practice on everything. I try my best to know my faults, I slow down your line, my arms flail and hit one of the best players in the face, I'm not speedy yet, I cant stop on a dime, I get confused in a pack and sometimes I let thru the wrong jammer but hey I'm learning.

The problem is that not everyone is accepting of my newness as I am and I can see that I am more a hazard to them then to others. I can see the frustration in their faces when they are asked to partner with me instead of their friend. Hey I don't necessarily want to partner with you but how will I learn other wise. I have a lot to learn trust me I know this and maybe you figure that I should be better then I am but you know what I'm trying. Up until yesterday I had never left a practise (not derby related) never sat out never gave up  95% of the time I am giving all of me learning to be a better player. I don't enjoy being the slowest or the clumsiest, I don't mean to cramp your style but we all have to start somewhere.

So this is what I ask let me try, teach me, be honest but be kind. Know that if you never let me make mistakes or try new things because your too concerned with winning this practice then I will never learn because like it or not losing and making mistakes is part of how people learn.  Give me a break or actually don't give me a break because I want to try everything, I may fail and need more time before I try again but I cant know unless you give me a chance. And maybe if you take a moment you might learn something from me I'm not sure what but you might.

Just so you know I go to practice to improve my skills not to prove them.  I will continue to try, to learn, to get better and like it or not one day you will be playing beside me and you can either be part of getting me there or not, either way I will get there! But for now I'm going to suck and I'm going to suck for a long while, I'm going to be a pain in the ass I'm going to ask lots of questions and will need things explained over and over and over, so get used to it because I'm not going anywhere.

2 comments:

  1. I love love love this. I am in the EXACT same position as you are. I have recently passed assessments and am allowed to skate with the big girls but am so new and fresh it's scary to everyone. :) I love knowing that I am not alone (even though I am the only person who passed the last round of assessments). I like knowing that someone out there is as frustrated and driven as I am. I will learn from every single mistake I make, but I must make them to learn. Keep it up! I throughly love your blog. Live Love Derby.

    ReplyDelete